Kaspersky Study Finds Youngsters Unaware of Online Friends Risks
Article by George Norman
On 08 Feb 2011
Kaspersky Lab, company that offers award-winning antivirus and mobile security software for home and corporate users, has made public a study that shows young people are not aware of the risks they expose themselves to by socializing with online friends. The study, which was conducted by YouGov, showed that 43% of people with internet access who have online friends, have never actually met these friends in real life.

The percentage is even bigger among young people. 54% of the people who took part in the study, aged 18 to 24, have online friends that they have never met in real life. This figure is worrisome from a simple point of view – these young people are basically sharing information with strangers. Remember that scene from Surrogates when the morbidly obese guy was the one controlling the hot girl? If you’ve never met someone in real life, how can you be sure they are who they say they are?

Advertising

Here are some other figures the study brought to light:
- 49% of parents with children under 18, have no idea what their children are doing on their internet-enabled mobile phones. These parents do not monitor their children’s mobile web habits. The remaining 51% of parents do monitor their children’s mobile web habits, even though their children consider their mobile phone as private abn personal.

Kaspersky Lab made these figure public in honor of the Safer Internet Day. Organized yearly by Insafe, Safer Internet Day promotes the safer use of online technology and mobile phones. The event puts a special emphasis on children and youngsters safely using online technology and mobile phones. For 2011, Safer Internet Day’s slogan is “It’s more than a game, it’s your life” and focuses on users’ virtual lives.

Kaspersky Lab emphasized the fact that it is committed to help children stay safe online and help parents keep their children safe online.

“A parent instinctively wants to protect their child from harm,” said Managing Director of Kaspersky Lab UK, Malcolm Tuck. “That may not always be possible, but there is much we can do to minimize the danger, both in real life and in the virtual world. We also believe that technology alone is not the answer, which is why our dedicated website www.kaspersky.co.uk/safer contains advice and guidance for parents, guardians and children. Protecting young people online means talking to them about the dangers and giving them the confidence and control they need to surf safely.”

In related news, Yahoo! announced it is supporting Safer Internet Day as well. It is supporting it with global online safety resources. Read more about this here.



Tags: Kaspersky Lab, Safer Internet Day, Insafe
About the author: George Norman
George is a news editor.
You can follow him on Google+, Facebook or Twitter

I Hope you LIKE this blog post! Thank you!
What do YOU have to say about this
blog comments powered by Disqus
Popular News
By George Norman on 17 Aug 2017
With the blockbuster movie season upon us, Sony decided to celebrate the occasion with a sale: the Attack of the Blockbusters Sale that offers discounts of up to 50% (60% if you’re a PlayStation Plus member) on a ton of PS4 video games.
By George Norman on 17 Aug 2017
Samsung’s new T5 portable solid-state drive (PSSD) uses the latest 64-layer V-NAND technology, offers between 250GB and 2TB of storage capacity, has a lightweight and shock-resistant design that’s smaller than the average business card, and delivers industry-leading transfer speeds of up to 540 MB/s.
Related News
By George Norman on 02 Aug 2017
Countless online articles have been published to help you squeeze as much battery life as possible from your smartphone, and many companies have come up with mobile apps that will help boost your phone’s battery life – including, as of recently, Kaspersky Lab.
By George Norman on 26 Jul 2017
Top-notch real-time protection against viruses doesn’t have to cost money, not if you go with the recently introduced Kaspersky Free antivirus solution. It may not come with a lot of bells and whistles, but it nicely covers all the basics and...
Sponsored Links
Hot Software Updates
Top Downloads
Become A Fan!
Link To Us!
Kaspersky Study Finds Youngsters Unaware of Online Friends Risks
HTML Linking Code