Firefox Grows by 40% in 2009, But Most New Users Install Old Versions
Article by George Norman
On 12 Jan 2010
The year of 2009 is behind us and we look forward to great new things for 2010. But before we get too carried away with what the new year could bring, let’s take a look at the 2009 and see how the Firefox browser did. The good news is that during 2009 Firefox grew considerably – according to Mozilla’s Blake Cutler, Firefox grew by 40%.

“2009 wraps up another year of terrific Firefox growth! Roughly keeping pace with previous years, Firefox grew 40% worldwide. Two regions in particular continued adopting Firefox at a breakneck pace — South America (64%) and Asia (73%). Most of the 40% growth occurred recently. In the 4 months leading up to the holiday season, Firefox added 22.8 million active daily users. During that same period last year, Firefox added 16.4 million users,” explained Blake Cutler.

Advertising

As a Firefox fan I can only express my joy at hearing this and I can only hope that as Firefox gets better and better, it will attract even more users. And here is where we run into a problem. The current stable version of the Firefox browser is Firefox 3.5; the upcoming version is Firefox 3.6 (currently Firefox 3.6 RC1) that promises to be even better than previous versions. But do you think most new Firefox users go for 3.6 RC1 or at least 3.5, seeing how 3.6 is a release candidate? No, according to the same Blake Cutler, most new Firefox users go for old(er) software versions.

“We know that existing Firefox users update their browser remarkably quickly. However, it seems the same cannot be said of new users–those people who are installing Firefox, perhaps for the first time. Since the release of Firefox 3.5.6, only 45% of new en-US users installed Firefox 3.5.6. What about the other 55%? 24% of new users installed an old 3.5 version, while 24% and 6% of installed Firefox 3.0 and 2.0, respectively,” said Blake Cutler.



Tags: Mozilla, Firefox, Browser
About the author: George Norman
George is a news editor.
You can follow him on Google+, Facebook or Twitter

I Hope you LIKE this blog post! Thank you!
What do YOU have to say about this
blog comments powered by Disqus
Popular News
By George Norman on 17 Aug 2017
With the blockbuster movie season upon us, Sony decided to celebrate the occasion with a sale: the Attack of the Blockbusters Sale that offers discounts of up to 50% (60% if you’re a PlayStation Plus member) on a ton of PS4 video games.
By George Norman on 17 Aug 2017
Samsung’s new T5 portable solid-state drive (PSSD) uses the latest 64-layer V-NAND technology, offers between 250GB and 2TB of storage capacity, has a lightweight and shock-resistant design that’s smaller than the average business card, and delivers industry-leading transfer speeds of up to 540 MB/s.
Related News
By George Norman on 14 Aug 2017
Firefox Send works with any modern web browser (not just Mozilla’s own), it lets you safely send files up to 1GB in size, and using it is a fairly simple process, as you can see in this how-to guide.
By George Norman on 24 Jul 2017
As someone who has been using Firefox day-to-day for a very – VERY – long time, I’ve grown to know a lot about Mozilla’s web browser. As such, I thought it a good idea to share part of my knowledge with you and highlight 10 tips & tricks that I’m sure you’ll find very useful.
By George Norman on 02 Aug 2017
Voice Fill uses spoken language to enter queries into search engines. Notes is a built-in notepad that you can use to jot down ideas. And Send lets you send encrypted, self-destructing files over the internet.
By George Norman on 21 Jun 2017
Last fall, Mozilla released Firefox Focus, a fast mobile browser that blocks ads and trackers. Previously only available for iOS, this privacy-oriented browser is now available for Android too.
Sponsored Links
Hot Software Updates
Top Downloads
Become A Fan!
Link To Us!
Firefox Grows by 40% in 2009, But Most New Users Install Old Versions
HTML Linking Code